Techniquest is committed to being transparent about how it handles personal information, to protecting the privacy and security of personal information and to meeting its data protection obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2016. The purpose of this privacy notice is to provide awareness of how and why we will collect and use personal information both during and after a working relationship with Techniquest. We are required under the GDPR to notify the information contained in this privacy notice.
Data protection principles
Under the GDPR, there are six data protection principles that Techniquest must comply with.
These provide that the personal information we hold must be:
- Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- Collected only for legitimate purposes that have been clearly explained and not further processed in a way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to these purposes.
- Accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- Kept in a format which permits identification for no longer than is necessary for those purposes.
- Proceed in a way that ensures appropriate security of the data.
Techniquest is responsible for, and must be able to demonstrate compliance, with these principles. This is called accountability.
The Operations department looks after the day to day running of the Techniquest exhibition including our Science Theatre, Planetarium and other public activities (excluding the coffee shop). During your time at Techniquest you may be asked to submit personal information in the following circumstances:
Information we take
When processing a booking online or over the phone, we may require personal details to complete the transaction. Information may include but is not limited to:
- Postcode of home or business address
- Full Name of individual/school/group
- Contact telephone numbers – both mobile and landline if applicable
- Personal/Business Email address of individual/school/group
We will ensure that the information taken is limited to essential details only.
Where your information is held
This data is held in our online booking system Digitickets and can only be accessed by staff members with password protected accounts. Data is held indefinitely as information can be used for future bookings and for having a booking history with the visitor.
Gift Aid Privacy notice
At Techniquest, we can collect details for Gift Aid from visitors paying our standard price that includes a voluntary donation of 10%, the donation allows us to claim Gift Aid on the whole transaction. This doesn’t cost the visitor any extra but the visitor must pay tax in the U.K
Techniquest collects relevant data during the ticket purchase transaction. We collect a Post code, House Number, Title, first initial and last name. This information is taken to enable us to claim Gift Aid.
This data is stored on our Point of Sale system, Digitickets which is hosted on Techniquest servers. Our Finance team then take this information and pass it on to HMRC so we can complete the claim for Gift Aid contributions.
This data is collected through our third-party point of sale system Digitickets, the system is password protected and can only be accessed by authorised staff. Digitickets is installed on our secure Techniquest network, we send and receive data remotely from a secure server.
This data is stored in Digitickets for three months, this allows our Finance team to collate and send the data to HMRC. It is then deleted from our Maxim system.
If the visitor changes their mind and no longer wants to Gift Aid they can email in to Techniquest and we can remove it from the transaction along with their details. However, once the details have been submitted to HMRC, HMRC will retain that information
If the visitor would like to raise a data complaint they can do during their visit to the Operations Manager or they can email in at [email protected]
Techniquest has an Annual Pass membership scheme, this allows individuals and families visits to Techniquest an unlimited number of times within a 12-month period.
We process and take payment for the membership at our front desk, it is at this point a Techniquest member of staff would collect the visitors Name, post code and address, telephone number, email address and a photo of the visitor to print on to the card. Once this data has been taken we can take payment.
The email address will be input into our CRM system in case we need to make future contact regarding your annual pass.
The remaining annual pass data is stored on our third-party point of sale system Digitickets, this system is password protected and can only be accessed by authorised staff. Digitickets is installed on our secure Techniquest network, we send and receive data remotely from a secure server.
We require this data for the visitor to be an Annual Pass holder, if they do not want us to have this information then unfortunately we are unable to offer them an Annual Pass.
This data is held for 24 months, after this period it is permanently deleted.
You can ask us to access the information we hold on you at any time
You have the right to rectify the information we hold
You can ask us to completely remove your details from all of our systems
You’re able to object to us using your information
You can restrict how we use your information
You have a right to data portability
Contact and complaints
The primary point of contact for all issues arising from this Policy, including requests to exercise data subject rights, is our Data Protection Officer. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted in the following way:
If you have a complaint or concern about how we use your personal data, please contact us in the first instance and we will attempt to resolve the issue as soon as possible. You also have a right to lodge a complaint with your national data protection supervisory authority at any time. In the UK, the supervisory authority for data protection is the ICO (https://ico.org.uk/). We do ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us first, although you have a right to contact your supervisory authority at any time.
Who we are
Information collected and its use
The information we collect via the Website may include:
- Any personal details you knowingly provide us with through forms and our email, such as name, address, telephone number etc.
- In order to effectively process credit or debit card transactions it may be necessary for the bank or card processing agency to verify your personal details for authorisation outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Such information will not be transferred out of the EEA for any other purpose.
- Your preferences and use of email updates, recorded by emails we send you (if you select to receive email updates on products and offers).
- Your IP Address, this is a string of numbers unique to your computer that is recorded by our web server when you request any page or component on the Website. This information is used to monitor your usage of the Website.
- Information about your device such as your web browser, screen resolution and operating system. This information is used to ensure we continue to support the different devices used by our customers.
We do not store any credit card details.
What we do with your information
Any personal information we collect from this website will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other applicable laws. The details we collect will be used:
- To process your order, to provide after sales service (we may pass your details to another organisation to supply/deliver products or services you have purchased and/or to provide after-sales service);
- In certain cases we may use your email address to send you information on our other products and services. In such a case you will be offered the option to opt in/out before completing your purchase.
We may need to pass the information we collect to other companies for administrative purposes. We may use third parties to carry out certain activities, such as processing and sorting data, monitoring how customers use the Website and issuing our e-mails for us. Third parties will not be allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes.
Some of the information stored is put there by other companies whose software we have added to the site, and this can also impact your experience of other websites you may visit after leaving ours.
If you continue to use this site without taking action to prevent the storage of this information, you are effectively agreeing to this use.
If you want to learn more about the general uses of cookies, including how to stop them being stored by your computer, please visit Cookiepedia - all about cookies.
Below is a list of the different types of cookies used on this site, and an explanation of what they are used for. If you would like any more information, please get in touch.
This cookie is used to keep track of what items are in a user's shopping basket.
This cookie is used to monitor the users consent for analytical cookies on our site. No user data is collected without this being enabled.
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site and how they interact with the website.
This cookie is used to collect information about visitor's experience of the site in terms of performance. This helps us to monitor that our systems are working quickly and effectively, and to identify any problematic areas.
You have the right to request a copy of any information that we currently hold about you. In order to receive such information please send your contact details including address to the following address:
Stuart Street, Cardiff, South Glamorgan